I spent four days exploring the city Stellenbosch with friends, Julia and Greg. The city is just 45 minutes east of Cape Town and in the heart of South African wine country.
The scenery was absolutely gorgeous with mountains, vineyards, trees, and Cape Dutch architecture. While we were there we enjoyed simple pleasures: wine, food, tea, biking, running, walking, and reading.
on our bike ride
so much good food
vineyards all around

One of the most restful things in Stellenbosch was the safety. Compared to our neighborhood in Cape Town, we could let our guard down. At night, we walked for blocks and blocks without worry. Also, I was able to run alone!
Stellenbosch reminded me of one of the lessons I’m learning, because there I had a taste of what I left behind. At home, I live my days according to how I choose. A good example is running. I simply put on my shoes and walk out the door in the States. But in Cape Town, if I want to run alone (like right now!), I can not. I have to find someone to go with me. Running always depends on someone else in Cape Town. Most everything here depends on other people. At home, at an everyday level, I live independently. My day is lived at the beat of my own drum. In Cape Town, I’ve had to learn how to listen to other beats. And to be honest, I’m a little tired of listening right now
0 comments:
Post a Comment