
The other night two Gordon girls, Katya and Mary Jane, and I went to a dinner party. We were invited by another international student to the home of a young, white South African named Jacques. The people at the party were kind and welcoming, but the conversation that weighs on me was with Eric. Eric is a black Zulu man who works for Jacques full time.
At one point in the night I made my way back to Eric as he was doing the dishes. Our conversation was the first time I’ve heard a black man tell me the oppression of his skin, in so many words. He spoke of his desire to be white, but knowing he was born black. He told me of his hope to marry a white woman. For if he married a white woman, his children would have a better future being colored. Then he told me about his running. When Eric runs, he concentrates on his future. He runs for his tomorrow. I believe Eric was saying he has to look forward otherwise he would have nothing.
Eric’s words give me an entirely new perspective on my own running. I never knew of the privilege of being able to run for the present. When I run I enjoy contemplating all of life that lies right around me. But that is because my today is full of opportunity. I have the freedom to run in the present, where Eric showed me he does not.
2 comments:
what perspective - what running can be for you and someone else - simple and profound - i hope you continue to have conversations like this in the 3 months that remain. love you, rachel
What an amazing and eye opening conversation. I hope the best for you in the next few months. I'm glad that you have a blog. It's a fun way to connect to the outside world. FYI: I love your pictures.
Post a Comment